Monday, April 27, 2009

butterflies




this was taken the other day on our recent trip to the zoo. both of the kiddos wanted to go into the butterfly exhibit. at the beginning there's this this nice little lady who gave us this speech about how the butterflies can't bite you, are very gentle, yadda yadda yadda. she emphasized BE VERY GENTLE, WATCH WHERE YOU STEP, YOU MIGHT KILL THE BUTTERFLIES.then, she opened the door. we walked in and butterflies were everywhere. they were flying around, landing on flowers, landing on us. (this is where you insert scary music for dramatic effect)
me:"look kids, aren't they pretty!!!"
Lil'earl:"yeah mom, let's get one to land on me for a picture!! look boo, it's gonna land on you!"
Boo: (SCREAMING as loud as possible)"AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! I DON"T LIKE FUTTERFLIES!!!! THEY ARE TRYING TO BITE ME!!!! I DON'T LIKE THEM!!! DIE! DIE! DIE! (as she is swinging her arms frantically and stopping the ground as hard as she can trying to step on them and kill them)
now, remember that sweet little lady in the beginning who gave us the talk, she started yelling "YOU ARE KILLING THE BUTTERFLIES!!! STOP!!! STOP!!!"
me: "can i take her outside to her daddy and come back in with him?"
mean lady: "YES!!!! PLEASE DO!!!!!"
now, this whole scenario only lasted only a few minutes but it was a dramatic few minutes. i've never been almost kicked out of a butterfly exhibit but now i can check that of my list. when i went back in with lil'earl the lady was mumbling under her breath and gave me the evil eye as she scooped up a casualty, by the way, she only wounded/killed 5......could've been much worse if it weren't for my quick thinking and grabbing her up. the lady could've said thanks or given me a medal for my heroic actions, but i thought i might not push it. lil'ear loved the butterflies and was mad when we left. the rest of the day he would say, "hey boo, there's a butterfly on you!!!" to which she would swing around her and then hit him and he would laugh. ahhhhhhhh............ brotherly love!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. How sad, yet funny.....You really need to expose that girl to more nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep coming back to read this. It makes me laugh every time! We have to meet up at the fort worth zoo. They have a bird room where you are in this big cage with all the birds. For $1 you can buy a stick of bird food to feed them. I'd love to see what Boo would do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor baby. Those butterflies do have long, sticky-looking legs. They are lucky she only "took out" five of them. I have seen her in action and know there could have been more casualties.

    ReplyDelete